Blog

The Optimal UnitTesting environment II

In the [last episode](http://agile42.com/cms/blog/2009/07/1/optimal-unittesting-environment/) I talked about the huge difference it makes to automate the execution of [unit tests](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing) on each file save.

On
6 July 2009
In
Scrum, Training
Tags
browsers, qunit, unittesting

    In the last episode I talked about the huge difference it makes to automate the execution of unit tests on each file save.

    This is all great and good - if you have the luxury to work with a language which can be reached from the shell.

    Since we work with lots of JavaScript in the development of Agilo for Scrum, we have a problem. Of course there are tools like Narwhal that make it much easier to also run JS from the shell, but its not the same, and also it's very hard to debug javascript in there if it fails. (printf-debugging anyone?)

    So, we looked for a different solution - and we found one that is quite workable for now.

    First the setup though: We currently write most of our JavaScript tests in QUnit, which is itself quite a workable JavaScript unit testing framework. It runs in a webpage, where it also generates ok-ish output, most important, it has a very big red/green bar at the top of the window and a list of tests it executed below that. This makes it easy to run the tests in many browsers / version / virtual machines and also quite fast.

    Of course, this setup makes it impossible for the JavaScript or the browser to detect if one of the included files did change in the filesystem. I was tinkering with making the browsers reload via a shell script, but I couldn't get it to work reliably with all browsers, so we choose a much simpler solution - we just re-run the entire testsuite every 3 seconds.

    True this wastes some cycles - but it works like a charm. :)

    Here's all it takes:

    $(document).ready(function(){
        setTimeout("window.location.reload()", 3000);
    });
    

    Of course being the perfectionists we are, we went a little further to make it easy to stop the testrunner temporarily to debug a test or examine some state. So here's what we did turn out with.

    I'd like to add that you should add ?noglobals to the url of the testrunner in all your bookmarks to it, so you find when you are leaking global variables - a type of JavaScript error which can be horrendously hard to find otherwise.

    Discussion Comments are closed.

    Comments are closed.

    Comments are closed.

    Comments have been closed for this post.

    Latest entries

    Centralized Control : Trapped in Wagile (Part 4 of 4)

    This is the last part in the series “Trapped in Wagile”

    0 Comments

    CROZ is agile42 partner for Croatia, Serbia and Slovenia

    On October 16 in Zagreb, CROZ has officially been confirmed as exclusive partner of agile42 for ...

    0 Comments

    Meet us at Manage Agile 2014

    Andrea Tomasini and Ralf Kruse will run special events at Manage Agile 2014 in Berlin on ...

    0 Comments

    Large Batch hand offs : Trapped in Wagile (part 3 of 4)

    This is part three of the continuing series of articles - "Trapped in Wagile"

    0 Comments

    Scrum Gathering Berlin - September 2014

    Some info on the Scrum Gathering in Berlin which took place in September 2014

    0 Comments